Wednesday, October 2, 2013

One Room Challenge: Week One

ORCBanner Fall 13
Hello everyone! I am so thrilled to finally be able to share the SECRET! I am a participant in Linda’s One Room Challenge(ORC). I know everyone ought to know what the ORC is by now. But, in case you DON’T; it is where a great group of 20 bloggers and designers are tasked with the exciting job of designing/transforming a space within 6 weeks. For the next six Wednesdays, you will be receiving an update from each of us.  I needed this kick in my butt kind of motivation to get our Master bedroom all “zhushed up!” I am so excited!
Photo Sep 30, 6 26 22 PM
I think the worst the before pics are, the better the reveal, right? These are not easy on the eyes but they will give you a general idea of the space. About 2 1/2 years ago, our current home was under construction.  Being pregnant then with baby number two slowed all my remarkable design ideas for each room.  However, since then, lots of decorating has been done, but the Master bedroom remains almost as bare as the day that we moved in. 
Photo Sep 30, 6 27 20 PM
This wall faces the bed and yes that’s one of those old t.v.s! It was the hubby’s very first t.v. and for some reason, he doesn’t want to part with it. We don’t even watch it! Well, maybe once or twice. Anyway, it has to go! I’ve been using that credenza as a dresser which works for me. Nonetheless, it will probably be placed elsewhere. This will become a feature wall of some sort, especially since it faces the bed.
Photo Sep 30, 6 27 49 PM (1)
That seating may get reupholstered and reused or it may get repurposed elsewhere. That wall is to the left of the bed if you’re standing in the middle of the room. I don’t know if I love the seating on that wall either… It’s usually a dumping place for clothes.
Photo Sep 30, 6 22 49 PM
This wall is to the right if you’re standing in the middle of the room. The double doors lead to the Master Bath and the walk in closet is off of our Master Bath.
Plans with a Feng Shui Flair
I am a believer in the principles of feng shui and I intend to incorporate them in the layout/design/décor of the room.
There will definitely be colour
I wanted to wall paper that wall that faces the bed, but still undecided.
A rug to anchor the bed
Lined drapery panels. Our bed faces East(a good thing) and we do receive lots of natural light. However, it is nice to be able to control the amount of light coming into the room and lined panels will help with that. Plus, they will soften the space.
While I admire reupholstered headboards, I am not leaning toward reupholstering ours(though I may change my mind). It’s a beautifully made solid tiger mahogany wooden bed. See here for a much better picture.
New or rather thrifted side tables. I do have a limited budget.
Lamps, art, etc.
I love my Nelson pendant, but if the budget allows, I am open to changing it
I have to figure out something for storage; a dresser, chest of drawers or something.

Inspiration
Photo Sep 30, 11 37 36 AM
Justina Blakeney
I initially entertained the idea of wall papering the headboard wall. However, nixed it because of the two windows. However, I love this space because the headboard isn’t upholstered, but instead softened by pillows sporting delicious fabrics. A lovely layered space.
Photo Sep 27, 11 25 43 PMpinterest
this is a great example of how lovely panels will look
Photo Sep 28, 8 03 46 PMpinterest
I love how the wall that faces the bed is being used here
Photo Sep 28, 8 03 00 PMpinterest
loving the glamorous touches, but it is still serene
Ok, Let’s go and check out what the others are planning for their rooms! xx

36 comments :

  1. there's something about husbands not wanting to give up these sentimental things...seems to be the same the world over!!!!

    sounds like a grand incentive to sort out your bedroom.

    just remember to have fun with it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I so wish I could participate in this; I love to transform ANYTHING, especially a room of the house! You are going to do it...you already have a great bare canvas and your PINSPIRATIONS are just fantastic my dear!

    Now off to school.....Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just hopped over from Linda's and I'm excited to follow along! Loving your inspiration pics. This is going to be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacey, this is going to be fabulous! I love your inspirations and can't wait to see what you decide on.
    All best,
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a blank canvas Stacey, I know you can whip some magic in this room for sure! Can't wait! I'm linking up tomorrow with my son's room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are starting with some really great bones thats for sure. And I love your inspiration pics. Can't wait to see it come together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a big believer in feng shui. I've read a ton of books but I'm not always sure I implement it. Really looking forward to following you to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic space. Those windows are great, and I love the floors. Your first inspiration picture is killing me....do that! I don't know anything about Feng Shui, except that I was told everything can be solved with a mirror and some water. I think that was a joke?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So excited to see you in this competition. Can't wait to see the process. I love your plan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your plan! Can't wait to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you're joining us! I'm a tad jealous my bedroom would fit inside yours! Your space and plan look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful having a clean slate to start from. I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! I am so excited to see you on this list. I love your taste and so I will be watching every move you make.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there Stacey! It's been so long, but I have been around and your blog is still one of my favourite reads!!
    OMG this is sooo exciting!!! I can't wait to follow the progress- This Will truly Inspire all of us to get started in our own homes. I for sure know I have a lot of unfinished projects in my home:)!
    Good luck to you- I just know it'll turn out faboulous!! //Tina

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just know you are going to work wonders in there!!! I have been motivated by this challenge to tackle THAT room, the one that makes scary noises when I pass. I am going to play along and "get er done!" Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great plans! Love your inspirations.

    Looking forward to see update next week!

    P/S: Come by and enter my current giveaway for a chance to win a set of beautiful velvet pumpkins if you like.

    http://www.mixandchic.com/2013/09/giveaway-gorgeous-trio-velvet-pumpkins.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. This will be so fun to see this transformed...love your inspiration photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cant wait to see the transformation...love your inspiration pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are gonna kill it, girl!! With your usual cool factor and good feng shui, of course. So excited to see you in the line-up for ORC.
    xo
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  20. First of all, how have I not found your blog before? Love that you are taking a blank slate and making it fabulous. Can't wait to follow your progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have such a great space to work with! I cannot wait to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're doing quite a bit! I love all of your inspiration pics -- this is going to be so much fun to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have a great room to work with and the size looks twice as big as mine. Looking forward to seeing it all come together!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is so exciting to see everyone's plans and thoughts for a "New" room!!

    Xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena
    Velvet Pumpkin Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fun...that last image killed me. You got a big room there girl so I am anxious to see some purdy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  26. How fun! We can't wait to see what you do. Something about turning your master bedroom into a sanctuary of calm appeals to us and we'll be inspired to make some changes ourselves.
    xxoo
    C + C

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMGoodness, this sounds like so much fun (and work!!), Stacey. I look so forward to seeing this evolve.

    Have a wonderful evening, sweet friend! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm excited to see the transformation Stacey! Your initial thoughts will add such life to the room!


    xoxo,
    Chic 'n Cheap Living

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am thrilled to be in the One Room Challenge with you. It is a much needed swift kick in the rear to get this room looking good. Cannot wait to see what everyone comes up with and see your bedroom AFTER shots.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  30. If anyone can redo that room Its you. you have the sight...Have fun!!!
    XXOO Marie Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am so excited to see your room transformed. It's huge by the way. You have beautiful taste, so I know your room will be fabulous, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  32. World Most popular Upcoming Latest cars and vehicles, Latest Mazda Models, Racing Cars, International Sport Cars, Concept Cars, PS-Pod, Strange Vehicles, Nissan, Royce Corniche, Ford Concept Cars, Strange Vehicles, Mercedes and More Sport Cars and Vehicles with Pictures and Info
    WorldLatestVehicles.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. You have a wonderful canvas to work with...can't wait to follow along!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm already excite to see how wonderful it will look after.
    With those nice inspirations
    I know you'll do great.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I Iove that you're doing this! Can't wait to see how it turns out! I'm redecorating too but really need some time frame incentive to make it go a little faster!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like my daily dose of sunshine. They brighten my day:-).