Saturday, May 5, 2012

Newspaper in My Garden.

IMG_0941
I live for the weekends because this is when I can find some time to work in my vegetable garden. Today I want to put some mulch down. The mulch will help to trap the moisture in from rain and or when I water the garden.

IMG_0936
However, first I am going to put down a weed barrier. Last year I used the typical black plastic that you can purchase from Lowes or Home Depot. The weeds still protruded through that thing; seriously, that stuff doesn’t work. This year, I’ll be recycling the newspaper I use in my classroom as weed barrier. I have used newspaper before so I know it works!
IMG_0951
Banana peppers. These are nice and spicy…

IMG_0944
My sweet basil is being eaten by something. I m not sure what. Can anyone suggest a natural concoction that I can spray on the basil to keep those little buggers away?

VegLabels
I plan on getting some of these vegetable stake labels made for the garden. How cool are they! So tell me- what are you doing this weekend? Planning on getting your hands dirty like me? Smile. Whatever it is, have lots of fun! XX

5 comments :

  1. Ladybugs! You can buy them at Whole Foods- they work really well-

    Have a fun weekend- We garden all weekend, every weekend- it's my favorite thing to do this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ren! I will try to get some this weekend. Fun weekend to you too my friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU ARE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Now you are working still, until the end of the year, right?

    I CANNOT WAIT for June 8, my last day!!! Dearest, I have never tried newspaper, but I must! And I worked out in my garden this morning and it was so relaxing and magical. I BID YOU PEACE AND BEAUTY STACY!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, there you are! Welcome back my lovely. I second the Lady Bugs;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always use newspaper as a weed barrier and the best part is it mulches right back to the earth. Your garden looks like it's coming right along. Speaking of which I need to get outside to mine!

    XX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like my daily dose of sunshine. They brighten my day:-).