Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Upcycling in the Garden: A Crate becomes a Vegetable Garden for the Boys.

blake064
Zion seen here at age one didn’t have a chance to escape the beauty of gardening. He observed his gardening fanatic Mom in action and wanted to do exactly what she was doing. Although, the watering can was bigger than he was, he would still attempt to water the vegetable/flower garden. He had inherited his Mother’s love of gardening…

Photo Jun 25, 11 16 29 AM
Lil Ian pictured here at about 1 year old also has a love of watering the flowers…
 
Photo Jun 24, 6 45 00 PM
Although we have a vegetable garden, I decided to make them their own vegetable garden; one they could readily water and would be easy for them to maintain, you know, since they are already such gardening fanatics! One day, I was in the shed and saw this crate and I thought voila! It had the perfect depth and it wasn’t too big.
 
Photo Jun 24, 6 47 24 PM
After removing the top
 
Photo Jun 24, 6 55 38 PM
I used left over paint from the guest bedroom makeover to paint the crate and sealed it with a mod podge sealant.
 
Photo Jun 25, 11 46 42 AM
And there is the after!
 
Photo Jun 24, 7 04 04 PM (1)
Photo Jun 24, 7 05 29 PM
I planted basil, chives, bell peppers, and tomatoes. There isn’t much but this is just enough for them to be able to maintain. I can’t wait to see their excitement when the tomatoes start to bloom! What’s going on in your garden? xx

16 comments :

  1. Love it! It feels so great as a parent to teach our children about good food and gardening, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's fantastic that the boys have a garden they can their own!!!! That way their love for it will continue to foster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good afternoon gorgeous! Isn't this the best time to get out and teach in the REAL classroom of the world! You look like you are having fun. Enjoy! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew you'd be overjoyed with having ALL your men with you! Oh my dear, I'm thrilled that you are enjoying a magical summer "en famille!" BISOUS BISOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! Love how you used what you had and made something special from it. And creating such fun memories for your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Considering my brown thumb, I'm living vicariously through these moments! So cute and yes, they'll be in awe of those tomatoes for sure. Great lesson here sissy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Stacey - great job.
    Would love to see Zion's face tucking into his tomatoes!
    Hope you have a lovely week,
    Liz x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea, Stacey!
    Lots of fun for the kids, and a wonderful learning experience too.

    Happy day to you, my friend! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that is the best idea for kids that I've seen so far. I'm sure your kids are going to love it... :

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, they are so cute and I love how they joined in. I hope you show pictures of them picking tomatoes. The groundhog has eaten everything. Nothing is growing here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a great jobs on your curb appeal, I have to get started on redoing my walk way and garden area,! Thanks for the post great motivation.
    Enamour Garden Fences for Perfect Home

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure the boys will love the garden! They will have so much fun watching the tomatoes grow and eating the lovely bounty!

    xoxo,
    little luxury list formerly Chic 'n Cheap Living

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful post ...great party !!..thanks for Anita !!!..love Ria...x !

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like my daily dose of sunshine. They brighten my day:-).