Thursday, May 24, 2012

Determination always Pays off…

IMG_2219h_6 (1)
I’ve often thought of what it would be like to live in California; the quintessential location for houses that are meticulously designed. Since living there is not an option, I spend a sinful amount of time perusing houses that are located there oohing and aahing at every detail. My obsession has not gone unnoticed. In fact, I was recently offered the opportunity to tour this home that I’m about to feature. Not virtually either, in person! I thought of purchasing a ticket just for that, but that thought could not be entertained for long. If only…

IMG_3411h_6 (1)
The next best thing was to look at pictures of the home instead.  A home is even more enticing when there’s a story behind it. One of the most photographed homes in the Greater Los Angeles area, this home is nestled in sleepy little Ojai, California.  Developed by licensed Los Angeles architect and interior designer Kate Svoboda-Spanbock, the property was a nightmare to work with.  Long, narrow and sloping, the 1,600 square foot lot was studded with mature trees.  Working with a limited budget, the property was one of the toughest Svoboda-Spanbock had ever seen.  However, she was determined and  overcame all her obstacles to create this spectacular architectural gem that boasts lofty ceilings, beautiful windows that let in lots of natural light and create an organic connection with the lush outdoors.

IMG_3536h_6
I adore the Moroccan like design of the stairway

IMG_2507h_6
beautiful tile work and what a view!

A Before Pic
CABefore
This is just to give you an idea of what the site looked like before. What a transformation, right? I can imagine the sense of accomplishment Kate must feel after tackling such a project and creating such a magical transformation. XX

{images: thanks Johanna}

10 comments :

  1. It's one of my favourite things to ponder...why it is that certain locations produce the most exciting architecture. And there are certainly hot spots in the world, where the design boundaries get pushed, and the result is dynamic, exciting architecture.

    On the one hand, I think this tends to be a response to climate - where the tougher the climate, the better the architecture. But this obviously doesn't apply in California, so I am left puzzled for the explanation. But, as you point out that this was a very tough site, perhaps that still fits my theory in this case. That if things are easy, they generally don't result in the best solution.

    Hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day long weekend, which a little birdy told me is this Monday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD EVENING GORGEOUS!!

    I grew up in Los Angeles and oh the homes....especially in West L.A., Pasadena....you have FINE taste my dear!

    Are you counting down dearest? I HAVE 8 days left!!!!!!!!

    HUGS! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, what an incredible transformation. It's amazing what you can do with vision and passion to achieve these kinds of results! I'm impressed!

    As always you have such great taste in architecture and interiors!

    Have a wonderful long weekend! (Lucky you!)

    x.o.x.o

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely - great transformation

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always in awe of how much vision some people posses. A wonderful transformation for what must have been a life affirming project. To be in charge of your own design and build? - How invigorating for the soul - especially with such spectacular results!
    Paula x

    ReplyDelete
  6. California is definitely very inspirational... lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous home...I can see why it's one of the most photographed in Cali!

    Having just finished a renovation, I so appreciate the work that Kate put into creating such a special place!

    Have a wonderful MDW weekend...I'll be thinking of your husband, who I know is one of those keeping freedom safe!

    xoxo Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a place!!!!! thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful house! Love the Moroccan styling that you will find all over the house. Have a gorgeous weekend, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, fabulous house...it is my desire to move to cali in the future. my brother lives in del mar...gorg. have a good day, love. xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like my daily dose of sunshine. They brighten my day:-).